Tuesday, August 19, 2014

The Final Frontier

I have finally arrived at the most difficult part of the study: harvesting and the final weeding.

Due to other responsibilities, this part of the study required me to weed and harvest over the course of three weeks.  When it was all over I was glad.




My data, which has yet to be analyzed in accordance with the different treatments yielded the following:

UnWeeded sections (Remember, this were the sections not weeded all summer):
  • 1,211 lbs weeds
  • 780 minutes labor
Weeded Sections (Weeded once during the summer)
  • 640 lbs weeds
  • 575 minutes of labor
Of the 960 Red Zeppelin and 960 Patterson Onions, here are the following yields:

Patterson:
  • 758 Onions
  • 182.58 Pounds
Onions Curing in Wagon.

Red Zeppelin:
  • 606 Onions
  • 147.28 Pounds


Note the significant difference in the Red Zeppelin and Patterson yields...this, unfortunately was a pure and simple case of poaching. As I harvested the red onions, I clearly saw the depression in the soil of where a big fat onion once was anchored.  (The land I used is leased to other individuals, some of which thought my onion patch was part of a u-pick operation.)  I don't know how this will affect my study at this point, but I am hopeful that there is enough data for the three rows that were not so affected in this way.





No comments:

Post a Comment