Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Finally, Part 2!

The long wait to get to part II of this study is over!  The Broccoli starts that I seeded on July 4 (5-72 cell trays, or ) have sized up nicely and the forecast for a clear/dry few days allowed me to get all 320 starts into the ground.  Single row planting at 18" Spacing made this task a bit easier, but it was still a two day job that took a good amount of time.

Seeding Broccoli Trays 7/4.


Broccoli Plants ready to be transplanted.

Now the Broccoli plants are in, I will still need to keep the rows and beds clear of weeds, but the easy part of simply waiting and watching the broccoli grow is a joy to behold.  I will be re-staking the field so that I can make observations about the growth habits of the plants and compare them based on the treatment area they have been planted in.

Broccoli Plants in!
My study doesn't actually call for additional mulch, but I will be weighing the harvest of the heads once they mature.  Since the variety I chose was Marathon F1, which is supposed to be very tolerant of cold weather conditions.  A calabrese type, this variety will produce a medium sized head and then continue with side shoots (weather permitting).


No comments:

Post a Comment